After a long day of teaching a full days worth of LIFiTmoms & LIFiTkids fitness classes, I got a call from my mom saying, she was going to help me out and pick up my daughter from school and then come over. I quickly realized, I have nothing already made for dinner and needed to prepare something for a few people who were coming over. It was one of our very first hot days and after a whole winter long indoor board-making pinterest adventure, I was itching to break into my BBQ and get my creative flow going. It was just before memorial day and I knew all my 21dayfix challenger clients would also be up against some of the BBQ survival challenges we all face. What do I eat at a BBQ and what can I bring? So I put myself to the test. I broke out my skewers, grabbed all my fruits, veggies, protein, healthy fats, carbs, threw them on the counter and was on my way to making a FULL MEAL and a side kick glass of wine to assist!
All set to go...
lots of fun, clean options to eat...check
I wasn't too worried about the prep work, cause I knew my daughter might enjoy sliding those cubed up fruits and veggies onto the stick and the best part...NO CLEAN UP! I turned on the gas and became a grilling mama on a mission. In just 30-45 minutes...dinner was served. I knew it was a hit, when everyone was trying to figure out which skewer to grab first and the silence that took over once everyone started picking, chewing and or just diving in and pulling them apart. Here is what I used for my super fast, fun, skewer happy BBQ party. I even had left overs for the next day!
Veggies: zucchini, bell peppers, portabella mushrooms
Fruit: pineapple, peaches, plums
Carbs: corn, sweet potato, white potato
Fats: Avocado, Hummus
Oils: Olive oil, coconut oil
Enjoy, have fun and same me some left overs! For those who would like more information about our next BEACH, BBQ and BUNS challenge, please RSVP here and I will contact you with more details.
Here's my BBQ sabotage survival guide: Its time to spend more time having fun outside and lots of our moms are in need for clean eating tips & #21dayfix friendly BBQ success.
1) Bring you're own favorite snacks, dish, or veggies to share and help others see how clean eating can be delicious too. (i.e. asian coleslaw is always a hit)
2) Plate your food yourself with all the healthier options first, and then decide if the non-clean foods are worth it. You may also plan ahead knowing you've got a BBQ and replace your "yellow" or reward for this event.
3) Check out my pinterest board ideas. There are lots of skewer options and you can easily incorporate almost all the colors/ food groups (i.e. zucchini, pineapple, chicken/beef/seafood/tofu/seitan, sweet potato, Avocado, oil & seasoning =G, P, R, Y, B, O, spoon)
4) Bring a bottle of water and make it fun to drink (infuse with watermelon, fruit or an extract you like)
5) Drink your Shakeology prior to the BBQ so you don't feel starved or have your typical BBQ cravings for the snacks and chips that you'll often be surrounded by.
6) EAT - Use a small plate & know your plated portions and start to eye ball how much of each you should plate. Don't make yourself a target by not eating. People always notice the person at a BBQ not eating anything at all.
7) DON'T PILE ON THE FOOD just because everyone is or you think you'll feed your kids from the same plate. Make your kids a separate plate!
8) Help to clean up, so that the food doesn't stare you in the face the whole time.
9) Don't talk about how you're on a meal plan and don't use the word DIET, cause this is a lifestyle eating plan! This is a time to enjoy your family and friends and help them see that you are not focused on what you can not do, but what you are doing! DO TALK ABOUT your commitment to changing your eating habits and creating a cleaner lifestyle! You will help someone around you learn something new and that is a beautiful gift to share!
10) HAVE FUN! Enjoy your time and if that includes alcohol...CHEERS! Know your limits, drink a cup of water for every alcoholic drink you consume. This will help you keep away from snacking and also prevent you from drinking too much alcohol. Always BE SAFE and enjoy your time.
Enjoy the fun BBQ season and thanks for reading! Would love your ideas and comments too.
I was getting kinda bored with my meals so I decided to do the pinterest browse and stumbled on this awesome chunky portabella veggie burgers from The kitchen Whisperer, which I said...YUMMERS, I gotta try this but with my own flaired style!
3 cups portabella mushrooms, cubed
2 cups organic canned Red Kidney beans (you can use black beans too)
2 cups minced broccoli, fresh
1 cup minced cauliflower, fresh
1/2 cup red onion, minced
egg replacement mixture = 3 eggs
1/2 cup quinoa (I always have some already made in the fridge)
1/2 cup whole wheat matzoh meal (or bread crumbs of choice)
seasonings - cumin, curry, paprika, turmeric, ginger (add a steak seasoning if you prefer)
2 tbl minced garlic
3/4 cup of Daiya jack cheese, minced
*I didn't, but the original recipe called for Montreal steak seasoning and worcestershire sauce
1. large bowl mash up half the beans
2. add all veggies and rest of the beans and seasoning
3. mix until coated
4. add egg replacement, Daiya cheese and matzoh meal
5. scoop mixture into palms, press firmly together to make burgers. they need extra pressure to keep them solid.
6. Heat up coconut oil in skillet and cook each side until brown.
You can serve with hummus, guacamole or steak sauce. Enjoy!
How we take care of ourselves is a direct correlation to how much we can give of ourselves. Just because we are caregivers to others does not mean we are at our full potential to be caring best for them. What I mean is we must operate and care for our ourselves in the most optimal way possible in order to maximize how much we can give of ourselves to others. For example picture yourself as a Maserati. if you leave that Maserati in a garage (ie no exercise) and give it the least optimal fuel (ie nutrition).... are you really able to maximize that amazing machines potential? If our kids & loved ones are our passengers...Are you caring for your machine to live your fullest potential each day? Where can you give more to YOU?
Nothing is Impossible!